Baby Classes Are Back!
As lockdown restrictions ease further in Wales and the reopening of children’s indoors activities commence as of this week many new parents will be preparing to start their very special baby class journeys.
Danielle Sullivan, owner of Beaming Babies Swansea, recognises that attending baby classes can be a daunting experience and nerves beforehand are totally normal, particularly for first time parents who have not been able to experience baby classes before due to lockdown measures. As Mum herself with plenty of experience of baby classes and as an experienced baby class leader, Danielle provides her top five tips for new parents getting ready to begin their baby class adventures!
- Don’t panic about your baby crying or needing to feed during classes. This is something I get lots of messages about beforehand and seems to be a big worry for new parents. But I always say, they’re babies, and this is what they’re meant to do. The other parents around you won’t be bothered (and in fact, they probably won’t notice as they’ll be busy tending to their own babies) and us class leaders have seen it all before. We are well versed in this and we look forward to your babies being babies in our classes!
- Don’t be afraid to speak to others. I know it can be so difficult if you’re not naturally the type of person to speak to people you don’t know, even when you really want to. But I promise that by plucking up the courage to speak to the parent on the mat next to you, it won’t be long before you’re swapping experiences and stories of sleepless nights and feeding tips, and all this forms the foundations for wonderful friendships blossoming as the weeks go on.
- Be as silly as you want. This is your time with your baby and it’s precious! Sing the songs, make the funny faces and join in with the over-the-top actions. Trust me, nobody will be looking at you and your baby will adore every moment with you.
- If you feel comfortable doing so, stay for a cuppa after class. There are often café facilities at baby class venues, and they’ll be reopening soon so take advantage of a bite to eat or warm drink and a (often much needed) chat while your baby hopefully takes a nice long nap. Baby classes are tiring after all!
- Lastly, come as you are! Mama tracksuit and messy bun? Great! Blow dry and full make up? Wonderful! No time for a shower and coffee stain on your top? You’ll be in good company! What I am trying to say here is, it really doesn’t matter what you wear or what you look like when you come to your baby classes. It’s a judgement free zone full of like-minded people. All we care about is that you come along, and that you enjoy!
Danielle runs Beaming Babies in Swansea at The Cwtch and The Village Hotel. For further information about her classes please visit www.beamingbabies.co.uk.